Robert SCHUMANN (1810-1856)
Complete Works for Piano & Orchestra
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra in A minor, Op. 54
Konzertstück, Op. 92 in G-Dur: Introduction und Allegro appassionato für Klavier und Orchester
Konzertstück, Op. 134: Introduction D-Dur/Allegro concertante D-moll für Klavier und Orchester
Murray Perahia (Piano),
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Claudio Abbado
Schumann’s late works for piano and orchestra, the Introduction and Allegro appassionato op. 92 (1850) and the Introduction and Allegro concertante op. 134 (1853) have, like many of Schumann’s later works, not managed to establish themselves in the repertoire. And I think few would claim that these works are anywhere near the concerto in ingenuity or level of inspiration – they are by all means enjoyable works of the kind many lesser composers could dream of being able to compose, but they are hardly masterpieces and do provide some fuel for those who, probably correctly, like to point out the decline in Schumann’s creative powers over the last years of his life.
In any case, I can hardly imagine more compelling advocacy for them than what they get from Perahia here – that is not to say that his is the only viable approach; his playing is polished and civilized, and the whole approach is one that seems to focus on melancholic peacefulness rather than drama, resignation more than tragedy, wistfulness more than joy – of course, it’s a matter of degree, and at no point does (in my view) Perahia sound too inhibited. The Berlin Philharmonic under Claudio Abbado provides excellent accompaniment – some may wish for more urgency, but I find this thoughtful, glowing and beautiful approach quite convincing.
As for the main work, the concerto, this must surely be one of the most compelling versions in the catalogue (if pressed I may go for Lupu, but only barely). Perahia’s playing is wonderfully incisive and cleanly articulated, and seems to bring out every possible detail and nuance of the music (there are details here I don’t think I’ve ever noticed before) yet never at the expense of drama or forward momentum. And Abbado and the Berlin Philharmoniker proves ideally responsive, offering dramatic underpinning, coloration and eloquent dialogue wherever needed. Add to that a superbly balanced recording with an impressively unified sound picture, and you have a truly marvelous release. Strongly recommended.


7 comments:
pass? Thanks for posting!
otrolado
Thank you very much :)
Dear Xanturios, I'd be very grateful if you kindly reup this one. Many Thanks!
New link:
https://nitroflare.com/view/F8899D0780132D1/SchumannCompWorksforPiaandOrch.rar
Thanks very much for re-uploading this!
Post a Comment