Downloading from Billion Uploads

9/06/2015

Niels Gade - Symphonies Vol.1




Niels GADE (1817-1890)

Symphonies Nos. 2 and 8

Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra
Christopher Hogwood



The music of the Danish composer, Niels Gade (1817-1890), is a little off the beaten track, but is well worth exploring by all those who enjoy the music of Schumann and Mendelssohn. Indeed, it is easy to mistake the music of Gade with that of those two composers. I am not going to indicate that Gade is an incredibly distinctive composer, but his finely constructed compositions are chocked full of attractive melodies. Additionally, many of his works contain a slight Nordic tinge, which I find to be engaging.

The second symphony (1844) opens with a series of hunting calls in the horns, which gradually give way to an aggressive, yet infectious, dotted-eighth, skipping melody. The second movement begins as a faint, solemn processional. However, this theme builds in terms of texture and dynamics, until it unfolds into a melody of nobility and grandeur. The scherzo is delightfully brief and breezy. The regal finale is satisfyingly festive and conclusive.

The eighth symphony (1871) was to be Gade's last. Again, this symphony's energetic string writing, subtle woodwind colorings and simple, yet important, brass proclamations are reminiscent of Mendelssohn. I will not get into a lot of detail here. But I will indicate there is a lot to like within this symphony, especially the celebratory finale.

The most exciting piece on this program is the 'Scottish Overture'. This composition is filled with lively rhythms, rustic woodwind motifs, and large intervallic leaps, which imbue the work with an 'of the highlands' quality. It is an early work, but I find many of Gade's early works to be more energetic and colorful than those of his later period. The exuberant, almost Dvorákesque, coda would definitely bring the crowd to their feet if played at a live performance.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all four volumes of Chandos' Gade series. The playing by the Danish National Symphony is quite committed throughout, and the sound engineering is excellent. I would encourage all admirers of Mendelssohn, Schumann or Schubert to give Gade a shot - you will not regret it. If you are curious to sample Gade's music, this volume or the one that features the exciting first symphony, would make an excellent introduction.

5 comments:

Horacio said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Xanturios said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
classic said...

Thank you very much :)

Peter said...

Could you please reupload this album as well as Volume 2? Thank you very much

Xanturios said...

New link:

https://nitroflare.com/view/3AADE3EBD5D07E2/GadeSymphsVol1Nos2and8.rar